Sunday, November 22, 2009

Zucchini Cakes with Pesto Yogurt Dip

These were awesome! You now know what to do with all of the zucchini that came from your garden.Zucchini Cakes with Pesto Yogurt Dip

From: The Duo Dishes

3 zucchini, grated
1 carrot grated
1 eggplant, peeled and grated
1/2 red onion, grated
1/2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
2 eggs, whisked
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbs. kosher salt
1 1/2 cups panko (I just used plain bread crumbs)
Grapeseed oil (I couldn't find any of this and I'm pretty sure I just used olive oil)

Dip
6 oz. plain yogurt
2 Tbs. prepared pesto
kosher salt

Mix zucchini, carrots, eggplant, onion, garlic and parsley in a large bowl. (I used my food processor to do all of the shredding and these came together so quickly).

In a separate bowl, whisk eggs with butter, lemon juice and the zest, cayenne pepper and salt. Pour mixture over the veggies and mix well. Pour in the panko, starting with 1 cup and incorporate until the mixture is thick enough to form patties. Add remaining 1/2 cup if necessary.

Pour a bit of the oil into a shallow pan. When hot, use a 1/3 cup scoopto form the patties. Place in a hot pan and flatten slightly with the hand. ( I used my spatula). Cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until browned. (It took me much longer than that.)

As the patties are cooking, whisk together yogurt, pesto and salt. Keep chilled until ready to serve with the zucchini cakes. (This sauce/dip was to die for. I will likely use this again for any number of other things. I used the extra to dip some veggies in. YUM!)

No comments: