Saturday, April 3, 2010

Chipotle Sweet Potato Corn Chowder

This was a little bit spicy but oh so yummy. Chipotle Sweet Potato Corn Chowder

From: Your Everyday Mama

2-4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped (I used 2 large peppers and wished I would have used just one. Though the soup still tasted great it was too spicy for the kids.)

2-3 cups corn, either fresh or frozen (definitely go for 3+ cups)
1 cup leeks, cliced
1 large vidalia onion or other sweet onion, chopped
5 sweet potatoes, roasted and cubed
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 Tbs. Thyme
2 Tbs. Marjoram (I used the powdered and as I was dumping it in realized I should have used the dried, so I ended up only adding 1 Tbs. as I worried that 2 would have been overdoing it. It turned out fine.)
2 (32 oz.) boxes of chicken broth (I didn't use nearly this much at what I did use was a bit too much. It was just more soupy than chowdery.)
8-10 slices of bacon, cooked crumbled, drippings reserved.

Wrap the sweet potatoes in foil, do not pierce and roast in the oven for about 45 minutes to an hour at 375 degrees. (I roasted mine for 45 and it was too long.) Once soft, peel and cube. Some of these will get smashed and some will not, so cube to desired size.

Cook leeks, onion, corn, thyme and marjoram in the reserved bacon fat, stirring constantly until tender. Add cubed sweet potatoes, 1-1 1/2 boxes of chicken stock and chipotle peppers, simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. (I would really only add one box max.)

Using an immersion blender, blend 1/3-1/2 of the soup, leaving some of the corn and potato cubes whole. (I don't have an immersion blender and just ladled half of it into my blender and then returned it to the pot.) If needed you can add more chicken broth at this point, not forgetting that you will be adding the cream later.

Simmer chowder for another 10 minutes, add heavy cream and combine well. If your chowder seems to thick you can add more chicken stock to thin until you reach the desired consistency. Top with crumbled bacon. (not pictured)

Serve with some corn chips or yummy crusty bread.

No comments: