Thursday, September 17, 2009

Chicken Biryani

I apologize that my posting has been pretty much non-existent. It isn't that I haven't been cooking, believe me I have a large queue of recipes to put up, it is just that I've been struggling to get some quality one on one time with the computer lately.
Chicken Biryani

From: Cooking Light, Jan/Feb 2009

2 tsp. canola oil
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
1 cup onion, chopped
1 jalepeno, seeded and minced
1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
1 1/2 tsp. garam masala (If you can't find it in your store like I couldn't, I've included a recipe below)
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups plum tomatoes, chopped
1 cup basmati rice, uncooked
1/3 cup golden raisins
1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup sliced almonds
4 lime wedges

Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken to pan; saute for 3 minutes. Add onion and jalepeno; saute 3 mintues. Add ginger, garam masala, cumin, salt and garlic, saute 30 seconds. Add tomato, rice, raisins and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in cilantro. Sprinkle with almonds; serve with lime wedges.

Garam Masala

From: AllRecipes

1 Tbs. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

No comments: