Monday, September 7, 2009

Tropical Rice Fruit Salad

I honestly have no idea what to call this dish. My husband made it up a couple of years ago and we just can't get enough of it. Everyone who has had it (provided they like coconut), has begged for more. Just ask Jenny, which is why she called me and pitifully pleaded that I make it up and post the recipe. She's desperate.


Tropical Rice Fruit Salad


3 cups cooked rice
1 can coconut milk
1/2 to 1 can sweetened condensed milk
1-2 cups milk (your thickness preference)
Almond flavored Gelatin Dessert, prepared (if you can find it, they sell it at Asian markets)- OPTIONAL
1 large can mandarin orange segments, drained
1 can pineapple tidbits, drained
1-2 cans Fruit Cocktail, drained
1-2 cans Tropical Fruit Mix, drained
1-2 apples, chopped small
Red Grapes, halved

Combine all in a LARGE bowl. You can serve it warm or cold. I like it warm, my husband likes it cold. To each their own.
Basically the fruit you choose to put in is up to you. We usually do whatever we happen to have on hand. But warning: Never bananas. They get too mushy.

This recipe is very flexible, so keep tasting it as you go along. Super yummy. I'm craving some right now.

And... can you believe it? I posted a recipe!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Thank you thank you thank you. I've been craving this.

Bielefeldt Bunch said...

That sounds delicious! I can't wait to make it. I don't blame you one bit for not posting a recipe in a while. You have four children and are expecting number FIVE. Plus, you are probably sensitive to smells. I cooked very plain meals the first couple months of my pregnancy with Avery. Your awesome. We appreciate whatever you can post, but don't sweat it.