Sunday, March 7, 2010

Chicken and Curried Fruit

I was a little skeptical of this as it was coming together but I do love me some curry so I continued on. It was a major hit. I loved it, my hubby loved it and my kids loved it.Chicken and Curried Fruit

From: Treasury of Cooking Healthy

6 honeless skinless chicken breast halves (As I've mentioned before I'm cheap and so we only use about 1-1.5 lbs. of chicken breast, and I cut the chicken in strips.)
1 cup mixed diced dried fruit (I used a tropical fruit blend and picked out the coconut)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped chutney
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 to 1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup dry sherry or apple juice
3 cups hot, cooked white rice or couscous

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange chicken, breast side up, in a single layer in a 9x13 pan. Place dried fruit around chicken. Combine onion, chutney, garlic, curry powder, cumin, red pepper and allspice in a medium bowl; stir in chicken broth and sherry. Pour mixture over chicken and fruit.

Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake for about 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the center.

Remove chicken from the pan;arrange over rice. In a food processor or blender, combine half of the fruit and half of the liquid mixture from the pan; process until smooth. Spoon over chicken. Discard remaining liquid. Arrange remaining fruit over the chicken.

No comments: