Thursday, June 4, 2009

Tortilla Pie

This picture doesn't do justice. It is also a picture of one that I made only two layers rather than the for layers for the kids.Tortilla Pie

From: My Recipes

4 flour tortillas (I used more)
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
salt
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 tomato sauce
1 cup green salsa (I used more)
6 oz. pepper jack cheese, grated (I used more)
Toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, guac, etc.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place a skillet over high heat. Mist the tortillas with cooking spray and toast in the skillet, turning once, until golden, 1 minute. (I thought the ones that I tried on high heat burned rather than toasted. When I turned the temp. down a bit, I got a nice result).

Warm oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4 minutes. Stir in garlic, spices and salt; cook for 1 minute. Add beef and saute, breaking into small pieces, until cooked. Add tomato sauce, reduce heat and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 7 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.

Place a tortilla on a baking sheet misted with cooking spray. Spread with 1/3 each of the beef mixture, salsa and cheese. Repeat with 2 more layers of tortillas, beef, salsa and cheese. Top with remaining tortilla; press to adhere. Bake 10-12 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. (I toasted several more tortillas and spread a little less meat between each layer but used about the same amount of cheese and salsa and made a few of the tortilla pies, thus spreading the meal. It was a great result.)

No comments: