Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Saltine Cracker Toffee Bars

My mom introduced me to these almost two years ago. I had never heard of making toffee bars with saltine crackers! And I haven't stopped making them since. They only require a few simple ingredients, probably stuff you've already got on hand. You can pretty much find similar variations of this recipe just about everywhere, so I just put on my take of this delightful dessert.

Saltine Cracker Toffee Bars
From: Um, everywhere!
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
saltine crackers
1 package Hershey's milk chocolate chips (other recipes use semi-sweet, but not me!)
Chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a regular cookie sheet or jelly roll pan (being in Europe means my jelly roll pan is too big to fit in the ovens!) with parchment paper. You could use foil or eek! wax paper, but coming from experience you'll be disappointed. Just use parchment paper. Then salt side up, fill up your pan with the crackers. Melt butter in a saucepan and then add brown sugar. Boil 1-3 minutes. This part seriously depends on how you like your toffee bars. The longer it boils, the harder they will be. About 2 minutes is good for me. Pour mixture over crackers and spread until even on all crackers. Put into oven for 6 minutes. Pull out of the oven and sprinkle on chocolate chips. The reason I say Hershey's is because they are hands down 10 times better for this than Nestle. I'm not kidding. I don't know what it is, but Hershey's is SO much better. Okay, so after you've put on your chocolate chips, you can either let them sit there until completely melted and then using the back of a spoon, spread it around. Or, if you just can't find Hershey's milk chocolate chips for some reason, like you live in Belgium (grr), and you have to use Nestle's, then you can put them back in the oven for no longer than 5 minutes. That should help those little buggers. After you've spread your chocolate around, add the chopped nuts. Let cool, then cut and serve, or eat them all soft and hot, like us! Either way their delicious, and your friends won't believe you put saltines in them!

1 comment:

Alisha said...

We make this at Christmas...in fact I made a half a batch a few days ago...sort of preparing us for Christmas lol

We refer to it as Christmas Crack. It is dreadfully addicting. Someone I know has used graham crackers before. I am not sure how that would taste...she said they were very good. I like the salty/sweet thing myself.