Sunday, February 15, 2009

Corned Beef and Cabbage

I'm sorry, I know that it is nowhere near the time of year for this type of a meal, but I saw that I had the corned beef brisket in my deep freezer and then my pregnant craving went into overdrive. Corned Beef and Cabbage

From: The Domestic Goddess

1 (5 1/2 lb.) corned beef brisket
2 Tbs. pickling spice
1 lg. orange, sliced in rounds with peel
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 lg. onion sliced
1/2 cup cold water
6 Tbs. butter, divided
1 lg. head cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
2 golden delicious apples, cored and quartered with peel
1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan with alumninum foil, leaving enough extra extending over the edges to cover and seal in the roast.

Rinse the brisket and pan dry. Rub with the pickling spice (I usually use a little extra) and place in prepared pan. Arrange celery, orange and onion slices on and around the brisket. Pour in 1/2 cup cold water. Wrap the foil over the roast, tightly sealing the edges so it is completely encased in foil. Bake for about 4 hours or until the meat is tender.

About 45 minutes before the roast is done, heat 3 Tbs. of butter and 1/4 cup of water in a large pot. Add the cabbage and apples; cover and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes. Occasionally shake the pot so that nothing sticks to the bottom. Serve with remaining butter and sliced corned beef. ( I like to scrape out the mushy insides of about half of the apples and mix it in with the cabbage before serving.)

No comments: