Saturday, August 30, 2008

Mushroom, Pepper & Sausage Frittata

A couple of notes about the recipe below. We used pre-cooked chicken sausages. Also, I doubled this recipe and cooked it all at once in my favorite pan.
I'm still at a loss with what to do with unused yolks. I just toss them, but I'm sure there's something I can do, right?

Mushroom, Pepper and Sausage Frittata
adapted from Baking Bites

1/2 tbsp butter or veg. oil
1/2 cup diced red peppers
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 cup sliced [cremini] mushrooms
1 medium-large sausage, sliced
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
salt and pepper
Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese

Heat an 8-in oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Melt butter or oil, then add in red peppers, green onions and mushrooms. Saute for 2-3 minutes, then add in sliced sausage and cook until sausage is browned. Drain excess grease, if you are using a fatty sausage.

In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, salt and pepper (estimate - you know your tastes better than I do!). Pour into skillet over filling. Add parmesan cheese on top.

Meanwhile, preheat the broiler.

Cook frittata on the stove until the top edges have begun to set, about 5 minutes. Transfer skillet to broiler and cook for 3-5 minutes, until set and lightly browned.
Slide onto a plate for serving and slicing.

Serves 2


I'm sure I'll be adding other frittata recipes as this blog goes on, because I like the versatility of the frittata, and there are so many enticing recipes out there. Stay tuned.

No comments: