Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Chicken Wellington

I'd never had this before but have always wanted to try it, so I gave it a shot by making it. So, I have nothing to compare this to, but I really enjoyed it as did the hubs. And though I enjoy the ease of using a pre-made pie crust, I think I'll make my own next time. They are just better.
Chicken Wellington

From: Taste of Home Simple and Delicious Cookbook

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 Tbs. olive oil
4 Tbs. butter, softened, divided
1 tsp. dried crushed rosemary
1/2 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 pkgs. (15 oz. each) refrigerated pie crusts
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/4 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
1 1/4 cups hot water
3 Tbs. flour
2 Tbs. white wine

Flatten chicken to 1/4".  In a skillet, cook chicken in oil and 1 Tbs. butter for 4-5 minutes on each side until juices run clear.

Meanwhile, combine rosemary, sage, salt pepper and 1 Tbs. butter.  Unroll pastry sheets; cut each into a 9" square. (I baked the scraps with some cinnamon sugar for a sweet treat!)  Place a chicken breast half on each square; spread chicken with butter mixture.  Fold pastry over chicken.  Trim off excess pastry; pinch seams to seal.  Place on a greased baking sheet; brush with egg.  Bake at 450 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.


Meanwhile, dissolve bouillon in hot water.  In a saucepan, melt remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth.  Gradually stir in bouillon and wine.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Serve with chicken. (I always at least double the sauce because as I've mentioned before we really like sauce.)
 

1 comment: