Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash

These were so yummy. I loved the sweet acorn squash mixed with everything else. This was supposed to be cooked in the microwave, but I'm really not a microwave cooking kind of gal, so I used my oven.
Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash

From: Taste of Home Simple & Delicious Cookbook

2 medium acorn squash
1 lb. bulk spicy pork sausage (I used mild Italian sausage)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 egg
2 Tbs. milk
1 cup baby spinach, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Cut  squash in half; remove and discard seeds.  Place squash cut side down in a microwave safe dish.  Cover and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes or until tender.  (I'm not typically a huge fan of microwaving food to cook it.  So I baked mine at 400 degrees for about an hour.)  

Meanwhile , crumble sausage into a large skillet; add onion.  Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.  In a large bowl, beat egg and milk; stir in the spinach, bread crumbs, cranberries and sausage.

Turn squash cut side up.  Stuff with sausage mixture.  Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.  (I just stuck mine back in the oven until it was heated through).

No comments: