Sunday, January 18, 2009

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

I hate bottled spaghetti sauce. Even the best store bought sauce is only eh. So, if we are going to have spaghetti for dinner, we have to have homemade sauce. This is a creation made over the years. This recipe, although not my mom's is true to mom's form it that I don't really measure my spices. So my spice measurements are a guesstimate.Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 medium onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 oz.) can whole tomatoes, undrained
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1-2 () cans tomato paste
1/4 cup red wine
1 1/2-2 Tbs. dried basil
1 Tbs. dried oregano
2 bay leaves
2 Tbs. sugar
pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional- sometimes I use this and sometimes I don't, just depends on my mood)

Brown ground beef with onion and garlic, drain. Add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine using a fork to break up the whole tomatoes. I often use a knife to assist in this. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 1 hour or more until sauce is of desired thickness. Remember to remove the bay leaves. I seem to remember my mom forgetting to do this in a sauce growing up and my dad choked on it, or something along those lines. Serve over a bed of hot pasta. And please DO NOT forget the cheese.

No comments: