Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Lemon Rosemary Chicken with Herbed Couscous

My mom made this dish while I was visiting last month and it was fabulous. I brought the recipe home with me but found that I can't get the Herbed Chicken Couscous at my store. So my mom read what spices the box said were in the couscous and I tried to replicate it. It was not quite as good, but it was definitely still worthy of making again. If you can't get the couscous in your store either see my notes!
Lemon Rosemary Chicken with Herbed Couscous

From: Back of the Near East Couscous box

1 Cup italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 Cup thin asparagus, tips only
1/4 cup + 1 Tbs. Lemon juice, divided
3 Tbs. white cooking wine
2 tsp. dried rosemary, divided
1-1/2 cups water
1 pkg. Near East Couscous Herbed Chicken

Toss chicken breasts in seasoned bread crumbs and set aside.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add breaded chicken, asparagus, 1/4 cup lemon juice, cooking wine and 1 tsp. rosemary. Cook for about 5-8 minutes or until inside of chicken is no longer pink.

Prepare couscous accoding to package directions, except add 1 tsp. rosemary and 1 Tbs. lemon juice when adding contents of spice sack. Serve chicken mixture over a bed of couscous.

Notes: If you can't get the herbed couscous, just buy the regular kind. Cook the couscous in a can of chicken broth rather than water. I added about 1/2-1 tsp. of each of the following spices (and could probably have added more): garlic salt, onion powder, turmeric, and parsley. I also chopped up some fresh basil and threw it in. The basil was divine. Next time I might throw it a bit of fresh grated parmesan also.

No comments: