Saturday, February 28, 2009

Corn Dogs

When I saw this recipe I just knew that I had to try it. Both Tab, Jason and I love corn dogs, so this one called to me. It was well worth it. It was a total hit with my boys and we loved them too.

I have to add this just because it made me laugh. As I was getting ready to label the post, I was completely stumped as to what I should classify hot dogs under in the meat area. I just couldn't put it under beef or ground beef. Perhaps I should add a mystery meat section. LOL. Corn Dogs

From: senSAAtional favorites: just what the D.O.ctor ordered

1 gallon oil, for frying (I didn't use anywhere near this much oil)
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cayenne powder (I skipped on this, I thought it might be a bit much for little mouths)
1 lg. jalapeno, seeded and finely minced
8 oz. cream-style corn
1/3 cup onion, minced
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
4 Tbs. cornstarch
8 hot dogs
wooden chopsticks or skewers

Heat oil to 375 degrees.

In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cayenne pepper. In a separate bowl, combine the jalapeno, corn, onion and buttermilk. Add the dry ingredients all at once and stir only enough times to bring the batter together; there will be lumps. Set the batter aside and let it set for 10 minutes.

Scatter the cornstarch on a dry plate. Roll each hot dog in the cornstarch and tap off any excess. Transfer enough batter to fill a large drinking glass. Refill the glass as needed. (I tried this but found that dipping them into the batter in the bowl was a ton easier and less messy.) Skewer each hot dog with your chopsticks or skewers and quickly dip in and out of the batter.

Immediately and carefully place the hot dogs in the oil to cook. Cook until the coating is golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Remove and allow to cool a little and dry.

I put that these freeze well. I froze them after cooking because my hot dogs hadn't been frozen prior to cooking. Had they been frozen beforehand, I wouldn't have frozen them. I also didn't eat them after being frozen, but my boys still devoured them and that was a winner for me. It made for a quick lunch.

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

We just made them, and they are yummy!