Thursday, March 26, 2009

Vegetarian Chili

I was a little concerned about this at first, but it turned out great. I loved all of the fresh vegetables in it. There was such a fabulous chunky texture to it and such variety.Vegetarian Chili

From: Eat For Dinner

1 medium onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
3 carrots, diced
3 Japanese eggplants, diced (I used regular and mine were huge, so I only used 1 1/2. The skins on mine didn't get soft enough so next time I'll probably take the skin off.)
3/4 cup cauliflower florets
3/4 cup broccoli florets
1/2 cup canned yellow beans, drained (I used the entire can)
1/2 cup cut green beans,drained (I used the entire can)
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (I used canned)
1 (19 oz.) can chick peas
1 (19 oz.) can kidney beans
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (28 oz.) can tomato juice or sauce (I used sauce because I like my soups thicker)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 Tbs. chili powder (I had to add more, probably about an extra 1/2 Tbs.)
1 heaping tsp. chili pepper, finely diced
1/2 tsp. hot paprika (I used regular because it is what I have)
1/2 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup unsalted cashews (I left these out)
shredded cheddar, for topping
sour cream, for topping

Saute onion for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add carrots and celery and cook about 5 minutes more. Add garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Add cauliflower, broccoli, green and yellow beans, mushrooms and eggplant. Combine and cook for 2-3 minutes.

Add chick peas, kidney beans, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Combine until well mixed. Add chili powder, paprika, cumin and mix. Allow to simmer for approximately 1/2 hour. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Mix in cashews. Serve with a dollup of sour cream and some shredded cheese.

No comments: