Monday, March 30, 2009

Pan-Seared Salmon with Sweet and Spicy Asian Glaze

I make fish once a year for Jason's birthday. This is because I HATE fish. It stinks and tastes worse and grosses me out to cook with it. But my husband loves fish, so once a year I prove how much I love him by gagging while I make him dinner. As I didn't taste this meal and can't vouch for it, I am posting this according to my husband's recommendation. He raved about it, so.....Pan-Seared Salmon with Sweet and Spicy Asian Glaze

From: My Personal Cookbook

Marinade:
juice of 1 orange
3 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
2 Tbs. soy sauce
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 small red or green chile pepper,thinly sliced
1 Tbs. fresh ginger, peeled and grated (man oh man do I love my microplane grater)

Salmon:
(1 1/2" thick) salmon fillets
1/8 tsp. kosher salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
2 tsp. olive oil
2 Tbs. fresh cilantro leaves

In a shallow glass dish, combine all of the marinade ingredients. Add the salmon and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate, turning once, at least 30 minutes.

Remove the salmon from the marinade; reserving the marinade. Sprinkle salmon with the salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add salmon, skin side down, and cook 3-4 minutes. (I had to turn the heat down on mine, it was way too hot, it was simply burning up all of the oil.) With a spatula, turn salmon and cook 3-4 more minutes, until just opaque in the center. Transfer the salmon to a platter; cover with foil to keep warm.

Discard and drippings from the skillet. Add the marinade and cook over medium-low heat 2-3 minutes or until it is thickened and syrupy. Drizzle the glaze over the salmon and sprinkle with cilantro.

No comments: