Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Creamy Vegetable, Orzo and Potato Soup

This was to die for. We had plenty of leftovers and I was sad when they were all gone. Both of my boys ate it willingly and then asked for some for lunch the next day when I pulled out my leftovers. It will surely be a repeater for us.Creamy Vegetable, Orzo and Potato Soup

From: Picky Palate

3 Tbs. olive oil
1 1/2 cups diced parsnips
2 lg. carrots, peeled and diced
3 lg. stalks celery, diced
1 onion, diced
1 lg. red bell pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3 Tbs. flour
4 (14 oz.) cans chicken broth, divided (can use vegetable broth to make it truly vegetarian)
1 cup orzo
4 cups potatoes, diced
2 dashes Tabasco hot sauce (I used about 2 times this amount to make it just right. Jason added more to his bowl after the fact as he likes his really spicy)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated

Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. (I don't have a dutch oven, sniff sniff, so I just used my heavy soup pot.) Saute parsnips, carrots, celery, onion and the bell pepper for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle in the flour and stir and cook for 1 more minute. Slowly stir in 3 of the cans of broth. Increase heat to high until soup starts to boil. Add the orzo and potatoes, reduce heat to medium-high and let cook for 8-10 minutes or until orzo is al dente and potatoes are fork tender. Reduce heat to low and stir in the last can of broth, season with Tabasco, parmesan and additional salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on low until ready to serve.

1 comment:

janet said...

That soup looks delicious, I can't wait to try it. Thanks for the recipe.