Monday, September 1, 2008

Frozen Watermelon Lime Bars

These were out of control yummy. A perfect summer treat. My husband begged me to just let him eat the watermelon sorbet, but I made him hold out for the finished product and I do believe it was worth it. The original recipe, (which I didn't write down where I got this one from), called for tequila and that just isn't our thing, so I just left it out and it was fine. Next time I will be ommiting the seeds. The recipe said to blend the watermelon seeds and all, but I just don't like the texture that they added, then again, there were a ton of seends in my melon.


Watermelon lime bars


Frozen Watermelon Lime Bars



For Sorbet
1 (2 1/2 lbs.) piece of watermelon
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbs. fresh lime juice

For Lime Semefreddo:
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. grated lime zest
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup chilled heavy cream


To make Sorbet: Line a 9" square baking dish with plastic wrap, making sure to leave so plasic wrap hanging over the edge, so it can be removed. Put lined pan in freezer.

Coarsely chop watermelon flesh, then puree enough to yield 2 1/2 cups in a blender. Add sugar and lime juice and bland for 30 seconds.

Freeze sorbet in ice cream maker. Transfer to lined baking dish, smoothing top. Put in freezer to harden, at least 1 hour.

To make Semifreddo: Whisk together condensed milk, zest, and juice. Beat cream until is just holds stiff peaks, then gently fold into condensed milk mixture.

Spread over sorbet, smoothing top. Freeze until solid, at least 2 hours. To serve, lift dessert from pan using plastic wrap. Cut into 12 bars and serve on chilled plates. (The chilled plates are important if you don't want the sorbet melting right away as you can see in my picture).

3 comments:

Alissa said...

i doubt i'd need the chilled plates, because i'd be eating it straight from the pan!

sheri said...

stupid being allergic to watermelon. This actually sounds like it might be worth the swollen lips, though!

lacyboo said...

really though...i just want to eat it off the screen it looks so good..mmmm