Sunday, September 28, 2008

Pear Custard Pie

This was completely gone in a very short period of time. And I'm dying to get to the store for more pears. I've never really been a big fan of pears because I didn't know what to do with them! Now, I've got this go-to recipe. The thing is that it wasn't SO sweet that it would make you sick if you ate oh, say... half the pan by yourself. Which is why I probably ate half the pan, by myself.

Pear Custard Pie by Martha Stewart
via Katherine



* 3 Comice or Bartlett pears, peeled, halved, cored, and sliced
* 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
* 1/3 cup granulated sugar
* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 3 large eggs
* 3/4 cup milk
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* Confectioners' sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees; butter a 9-inch pie dish. Peel, halve, and core 3 Comice or Bartlett pears; slice 1/4 inch thick lengthwise. Arrange slices, overlapping slightly, in dish.
2. In a blender, process 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter, 1/3 cup each granulated sugar and all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 3 large eggs, 3/4 cup milk, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until smooth.
3. Pour batter over pears; bake until golden and firm to touch, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, dusted with confectioners' sugar.

5 comments:

m3ng said...

Can you make this every week? Yes, it was that good. Not too sweet, which I like. The last bite was also very good after it chilled in the fridge overnight...

Jenny said...

yummy... I must make this one.

Audrey said...

that looks very yummy and sounds easy. did you really put the batter over the pears?

Alissa said...

yep. i just poured it over top. so so easy.

Melinda said...

Yup that was yummy. It reminded me of popeye pancakes with pear in them. I think I'll let my kids try it for breakfast. Though I don't think my pie plate was large enough because my tart doesn't look like the picture. It was still delicious.