Saturday, September 20, 2008

Key Lime Meltaways

Dear Martha Stewart. I love you.



Now, I know that my key limes look like they're on their way out, but I learned was that a ripe key lime is a yellow key lime. Apparently, the same goes for regular Persian limes as well.

These cookies are perfection. The only downside is that they are so small that you can easily put away 10 without batting an eye. Also, they must be eaten with a glass of milk. Mmm... milk. I'll be making these again soon as my husband has requested them for the fundraising bake sale his work is holding.

Key Lime Meltaways
Adapted from Martha Stewart

You can make these with regular limes as well, but if you run into some key limes, they’re worth it.

You can also keep the logs frozen for up to two months.
Yield: 5 dozen

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
Grated zest of 4 tiny or 2 large key limes
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour (a.k.a. 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, cream butter and 1/3 cup sugar until fluffy. Add lime zest, juice, and vanilla; beat until fluffy.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add to butter mixture, and beat on low speed until combined.

3. Between two 8-by-12-inch pieces of parchment paper, roll dough into two 1 1/4-inch-diameter logs. Chill at least 1 hour. (I'm impatient so I froze it for 20 minutes.)

4. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Place remaining 2/3 cup sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Remove parchment from logs; slice dough into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Place rounds on baking sheets, spaced 1 inch apart.

5. Bake cookies until barely golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool slightly, just three or four minutes. While still warm, place cookies in the sugar-filled bag; toss to coat. Bake or freeze remaining dough. Store baked cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

4 comments:

lacyboo said...

what is it with you guys and key lime stuff? it makes me want to run to sees right now and get a box...or a dozen boxes...of key lime truffle for a quick fix

Maleen said...

Wow, how are you guys doing?? I like your blog. I am always looking for some new recipes but that doesn't tell me enough about how everything is going. Email me.
caziertm@comcast.net

Alissa said...

you haven't heard about my lime obsession?

lacyboo said...

no but we must be related. my mom and i get the big boxes of truffles around christmas time and just CHOW haha. applebees key lime dessert shooter...sooo good...marie calanders key lime pie...ohhhh yeah