Sunday, April 5, 2009

Chicken and Corn Laksa

I apologize for another soup recipe, but I have really been into soups lately. This is one of those recipes that looked yummy when I saw the picture in a magazine and then as I was making it, I was seriously questioning if we were going to be going out to eat that night. LOL. So be warned, about half way into making this soup you may think twice, but when it all comes together, you will be a very happy person. Chicken and Corn Laksa

From: Scholastic Parent and Child Magazine

1/4 lb. thin rice noodles (I couldn't find any where I live so I just used thin spaghetti, but definitely needed to make more than 1/4 of a lb. I probably ended yup making about 1/2 lb.)
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 tsp. canola oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp. mild curry paste
2 tsp. light brown sugar
1 (14 oz.) can coconut milk
1 cup chicken broth
2 tsp. soy sauce
1/2 cup frozen or canned corn (I will surely use more next time)
1/4 cup frozen peas
1 cup cooked chicken, shredded
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 tsp. lime juice
Cilantro leaves, thinly sliced red chiles and lime quarters for serving

Cook the noodles according tot he package instructions. Drain and divide among bowls.

Saute the onion in the oil for 5-6 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic, curry paste, and brown sugar and cook for 1 minute more. Add the coconut milk, chicken broth, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. (This is where I started questioning the recipe)

Add the corn, peas, chicken and scallions. Simmer for 3 minutes until everything is hot. Remove from the heat and add the lime juice.

Ladle the soup over the noodles. Top with cilantro leaves, extra scallions, thinly sliced red chiles and lime quarters.

No comments: