Saturday, April 25, 2009

Ukrainian Style Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Ukrainian Style Sweet and Sour Meatballs

From: Eat For Dinner

Sauce:
1 cup water
1 cup ketchup
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
dash of cayenne pepper
dash of garlic powder
1 Tbs. cornstarch

Meatballs:
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef or ground turkey (I used 1 lb. of meat and used beef)
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I didn't use quite this much as I cut down on the meat and I don't like my meatballs really dense)
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
salt and pepper, to taste

Combine all meatball ingredients and mix well. Fry or bake in a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. (I opted to bake mine.) Put the meatballs in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.

Combine all of the sauce ingredients in the top of a double boiler; heat to boiling and cook until well blended. (I don't own a double boiler and while I have used the two pot method in the past I didn't feel the need and just used a regular pot and it was fine.) Pour the sauce over the top of them and roll the meatballs around to coat. Bake for 30 minutes. (I had to stir my sauces up a little again as they had started to separate.) Serve over rice.

No comments: