Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sweet Root Soup

My husband gave me a kind of weird look at first because this soup looks like baby food. Trust me, this is fantastic. This didn't make a ton, so I would probably double the recipe next time as we like to have some leftovers.Sweet Root Soup

From: Scholastic Parent and Child Magazine

1 med. red onion, chopped (I think I only used about 3/4 of the onion)
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 small butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. mild curry paste
1 tsp. honey
3 1/4 cups vegetable broth
salt, pepper, sour cream and chopped cilantro leaves for serving (The sour cream and cilantro are an absolute must!)

In a large pan or soup pot, saute the veggies in the olive oil for about 15 minutes or until soft. Stir in the curry paste and honey, cook 1 minute. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 20-25 minutes. Let it cool slightly. Put in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.

Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top each bowl with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped cilantro.

No comments: