Thursday, September 18, 2008
The Dinner Tonight people tout this as being freeze-able. I did have one extra calzone that I threw in the freezer. Maybe I'll cook it sometime this week and see how it holds up?
from: Dinner Tonight
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
* 4 garlic cloves, chopped
* 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
* Flour, for rolling dough
* 2 packages (1 pound each) balls fresh or frozen pizza dough, thawed if frozen
* 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 1 1/2 cups shredded (6 ounces) part-skim mozzarella cheese
* Coarse salt and ground pepper
* Prepared tomato sauce (optional)
* 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onion; cook until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add broccoli, garlic, and pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl; set aside to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Form calzones: Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, stretch each piece out, first to a 3-by-4-inch oval, then stretch again, this time to a 6-by-8-inch oval. (Let dough rest a few minutes if too elastic to work with.)I just made rectangles because I'm not so worried about appearances.
3. Stir cheeses into cooled broccoli mixture; season generously with salt and pepper. Assemble calzones: Spread a rounded 1/2 cup broccoli mixture over half of each piece of dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border; fold over to form a half-moon. Press edges to seal. With a paring knife, cut 2 slits in the top of each calzone.
4. Using a wide metal spatula with a thin blade, transfer calzones to 2 baking sheets lined with parchment or waxed paper; reshape if needed.
5. Bake until golden, about 25 minutes. Serve with tomato sauce, if desired.
6. To freeze: Prepare recipe through step 3. Tightly wrap each calzone in plastic; freeze until firm. Transfer calzones to resealable plastic bags; label and date. Freeze up to 2 months. To serve, unwrap calzones, and place on parchment-lined baking sheets; bake without thawing until golden, 35 to 40 minutes.