This was completely gone in a very short period of time. And I'm dying to get to the store for more pears. I've never really been a big fan of pears because I didn't know what to do with them! Now, I've got this go-to recipe. The thing is that it wasn't SO sweet that it would make you sick if you ate oh, say... half the pan by yourself. Which is why I probably ate half the pan, by myself.
Pear Custard Pie by Martha Stewart
* 3 Comice or Bartlett pears, peeled, halved, cored, and sliced
* 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
* 1/3 cup granulated sugar
* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 3 large eggs
* 3/4 cup milk
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* Confectioners' sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees; butter a 9-inch pie dish. Peel, halve, and core 3 Comice or Bartlett pears; slice 1/4 inch thick lengthwise. Arrange slices, overlapping slightly, in dish.
2. In a blender, process 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter, 1/3 cup each granulated sugar and all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 3 large eggs, 3/4 cup milk, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until smooth.
3. Pour batter over pears; bake until golden and firm to touch, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, dusted with confectioners' sugar.