Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Deep Dish Pizza

Jason loves home made pizza. I'm usually just so-so about it. I loved this. The filling added so much flavor. I mean the sauce, ooooh the sauce.
Photobucket

Would you just look at the filling oozing out. I can almost smell it now.
Photobucket


Deep Dish Pizza

From: BlogChef

2 packages of your favorite pizza crust or homemade

Sauce:
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 Tbs. garlic
1 (28 oz.) can plum tomatoes (I used petite diced because it is what I had)
3 Tbs. tomato paste
1/2 cup onion, minced
1 1/2 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. red wine

Filling:
1 lb. Italian sausage, cooked
1 package pepperonis (I surely didn't use anywhere near this much)
1 can sliced mushrooms (I left these out)
1 onion, sliced
1 green pepper, chopped in large chunks
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1 1/2 lbs. mozzarella cheese
1 Tbs. cornmeal

To make sauce, saute garlic in olive oil for 30 seconds. Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, minced onion, basil, oregano, salt, sugar and wine; mix well. Simmer for 20 minutes or until sauce thicken. (Just make sure you do it long enough. If you notice in my picture the sauce ran a little more than I would have liked)

Lightly grease a 10" spring form pan. Sprinkle cornmeal on bottom of pan. Roll out 3/4 of dough into a flat cirle so it's 3-4 inches bigger than the pan all of the way around. Place into pan letting it hang over the edges.

Spoon in half of the sauce, then all of the italian sausage, peppers, mushrooms and onions. Top with half of the mozzarella. Roll out remaining dough and place on top of the filling. Crimp the edges together with the bottom dough. Baking in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, remove the pizza and add remaining sauce and cheese to the top half. Bake for an additional 1o minutes or until the crust is golden brown.

No comments: