Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Molasses Spice Cookies

I'm a HUGE fan of Gingersnaps, but if you've ever tried to find some at the store, they have approximately ONE brand. And they're not all that great. I happened upon this recipe this week which just blew me away (and earned me compliments from my husband's boss!) from Cook's Illustrated.

If you like gingersnaps, you will NOT be disappointed.



Molasses Spice Cookies

2.25 c flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
12 T (1.5 sticks) butter
1/2 c dark brown sugar (I used light brown)
1/2 c Sugar plus 1/3 c for rolling
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 c molasses

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves & allspice. Set aside. With mixer, cream butter for 2 min. Add brown sugar, and 1/2 c sugar. Beat 3 min. Add egg, vanilla, & molasses. Beat til combined. Add dry ingredients and beat on low until combined. (Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until dough is easily rolled.) Roll into balls & roll in the 1/3 c sugar. Bake 11-13 minutes. If you overbake, they won't be soft. I take them out at exactly 11 minutes. I like 'em soft.

My hints/suggestions/alterations from the original recipe are in italics (as they will be from now on.)

4 comments:

Audrey said...

I could eat a dozen right now! Why can't you live closer to me?

Jenny said...

I think we had a discussion just recently about how I adore gingersnaps and was disappointed by the brand selection. I WILL be trying these.

Jenny said...

I just made these and they were amazing. I have to admit that I was hoping for them to have a little bit more of a powerful flavor, but they were still to die for. They were perfect with a glass of milk!

Jamie said...

I think I like this recipe better than the one I have. It called for butter-flavored crisco, but I would much rather use real butter. Thanks for fbing it!